Migration to Magento 2 involves four components: data, extensions, themes, and customizations.
Looking to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2? Here We guide step by step that how to migrate from magento 1 to magento 2.
Magento 2.0 is the latest version of the leading eCommerce platform Magento, trusted by over 250,000 businesses across the globe. The platform is designed to empower developers with enhanced speed, out-of-the-box performance and unmatched flexibility to create an engaging & unique shopping experience for the customers. With open and flexible architecture built on advanced technologies, it supports online retailers in enhancing business productivity and increasing the rate of conversions.
Why you should move to magento 2. Here are reasons
1. Continuing support for Magento 1 doesn’t mean there will be innovation in Magento1. Therefore, for better support solutions, you must migrate to Magento 2.
2. Magento 2 is world-class commerce system. It provides better visibility into business results, improved site performance, and drive differentiated omnichannel commerce experience.
3. Magento 2 is the future. Every person will benefit from moving to Magento 2.
4. Considering the criticality, it is important to migrate to Magento 2. Most of the e-commerce shops and development agencies have already started with the migration.
Considerations before Migration
Before you migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2, here are some important aspects to consider:
1. Know your website: Review and analyze what needs to be kept or removed from the newly installed site on Magento 2. Also, ensure if the current site theme, extensions, and code are compatible with the new version or not.
2. Make backups: Before you migrate to M2, make sure you have a full backup of your Magento 1 store and the required database, files, and folders.
3. Clone Magento 1 store: Avoid using the live store for the migration process. Migrate the data from the cloned database of the M1 store.
4. Ensure compatibility: Check if your current extensions, custom code, and themes are compatible with the Magento
Four Stages to Migrate Magento 1 to Magento 2
1. Theme Migration
2. Extension Migration
3. Customizations Migration
4. Data Migration
There are new technologies and methodologies for delivering enhanced store and shopping experience to owners and users.
However, you can’t directly migrate your Magento 1 theme to Magento 2. Therefore, you have to create a new theme for Magento 2 and make it responsive to the best user experience.
You can either create a custom theme in Magento 2 or just buy and install a Magento 2 theme from Magento Marketplace.
Extensions provide new features and extend the functionalities of your Magento store. Now, you need to install Magento 2 extension of your choice.
Note: Magento 1 extensions will not work on Magento 2. There are severe compatibility issues while integrating the extensions.
Mostly, the custom code used by Magento 1 store is compatible with Magento 2. There’s a Code Migration Toolkit to help you with the process. Since there is a structural difference in the two platforms, migration may require additional work to ensure the custom code works successfully with the Magento 2 store.
The last thing you need to do is move your Magento 1 data as well as settings to Magento 2. You can use Magento 2 Data Migration Tool for easy migration. With the help of this tool, you can migrate critical data (products, orders, categories, store settings & configurations, etc.) to Magento 2.
Here’s a step-wise guide to data migration:
4.1. Install Data Migration Tool via Composer
1. Before installing this tool, make sure the version of both – Data Migration tool and Magento 2 are exactly the same. For example, if you are using Magento v2.1.1, you must install Data Migration Tool v2.1.1.
2. Now that you know the version of your Magento 2 store, install the Data Migration Tool.
Note: Update the location of the Data Migration Tool package in the composer.json file in the Magento 2 root directory.
3. Enter your authentication keys
Go to Magento Marketplace > Sign in > Click on My Access Keys
If you already have keys, the public key is your username and the private key is your password. Else, you can create a new key pair. Click on “Create a New Access Key Button”.
4.2. Configure Data Migration Tool
After completing the installation, you will find the following directories to contain mapping and configuration files for the Data Migration Tool:
This contains configuration and scripts for migrating from Magento 1 Community Edition to Magento 2 Enterprise Edition.
Note: Before migrating any data and settings, create a config.xml file in the relevant directory.
source : has Magento 1’s database information
destination : has relevant information of Magento 2
crypt_key : encryption key of Magento 1 which can be found in in
Lastly, save config.xml file.
4.3. Migrate Settings
Use the Data Migration Tool to migrate from Magento 1 to Magento 2. This includes websites, stores, system configurations like tax settings, payment, shipping, etc. You should migrate setting first.
4.4. Migrate Data
To migrate products, orders, wish lists, customers, categories, ratings, etc follow this command:
php bin/magento migration:data –reset